Can they co-exist?
- Economics and Politics cannot be de-linked.
- In the 20th century, Human kind has discovered what works best in Politics.
Role of State?
- Public Order, Justice, Rule of Law
- Accident of the womb doesn't determine the fate of a child.
- Health care
- Transportation etc.
- Natural Resource Development
- Social security
- 2% of global economy
- Universal Adult Franchise on Day-1
- a great adventure
- an enormous expression of faith
- US, Britain took ages
- Retianed political freedoms
- intense electoral competition
- winners do not punish losers
- elected governement is truly in authority
- Maturity of federalism
India is a truly vibrant functioning democracy. Moderate growth of economy, and influencing the global economy
19th Century Politics, Medieval Politics and Modern Economics cannot co-exist. One of them will have to give way.
Comparison with China
What India needs
Art of democratization of our society
even after we have 7700 words in the constitution on this issue
We created over structured under powered local governments.
recognize the merit of de-centralization
- even after we have 7700 words in the constitution on this issue
Rule of Law
- Art of democratization of our society
- We need to set the house in order today
- What happens to one-sixth the humanity cannot but impact the rest of the world!
Answer-ability of administrators
Vicious cycle of politicians (get purchase) trying to change the system
bad politics drives away good politics
young people recognizing the centrality of politics
deep engagement of middle class
pursuit of personal goals along with pursuit of public good
politics - improved only by better and more politics, not revulsion
Our federalism has matured remarkably
neither a cure nor a catastrophe
it's a practical solution some people are seeking
if language is not a marker, what's the new marker?
Rule of Law and Democracy
over-centralization has been our bane
decentralization is a tool of democracy
freedom and economic growth are compatible - show this to the world!
the only form of dissent is within the bounds of the constitution
state and the people have every right and duty to control it
hierarchy of principles - preserving of constitutional order
We have the technology. The world is truly flat. We have the resources, to be able to fulfil all the basic needs of all the people and the potential of the country.
We lack are institutions, right kind of politics. They take a lot of nurturing. Let us be engaged. It is our future that's on the line. Economic growth is spurring changes in the country. Communications revolution is helping bring change. The question is, What direction of change? I ask of you, to make a difference to the way the Indian political trajectory takes shape.